It’s fall and life is back in the swing of things for the kids! Whether you read before bed or while the children are in school, you have to have a great book on hand! Here is a list of my top 10 book recommendations for fall:
- White Oleander – One of my favorite books, this intense, painful and fascinating journey of a young girl (also the daughter of a poet and murderer) through the foster system will have you asking yourself what experiences shaped your life.
- A Man Called Ove: A Novel – A crotchety man named Ove has trouble dealing with anything that’s out of order – whether it be people or bicycles in the wrong place. As you read his story and his interactions with his new neighbors, you begin to understand Ove in a way that he would never let you. This book will warm and break your heart at the same time.
- The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo – Amy Schumer wrote a book about her life. As a huge fan of Amy Schumer – if she wrote it, it is a moral imperative that we read it.
- Last Bus to Wisdom: A Novel – Named a Best Book of the Summer by the Chicago Tribune, the Miami Herald, and Paste Magazine, you’ll want to add this one to your fall list if you haven’t read it. Orphan Donal Cameron who lives with his grandmother is sent away when she has surgery. This turns into an adventure with father figure Herman the German and other memorable characters as he fills his autograph book.
- Two by Two – Nicholas Sparks’ new novel will be released on October 4, 2016 and you may want to have it on pre-order! The author of The Notebook, A Walk To Remember, Dear John and more is one you can count on to provide a good read. This is the story of a content man with a wife, a home and a six-year old girl who suddenly finds his world turned upside down while learning how to be a single parent. Sounds good to me!
- Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children – The book that the movie (soon to be released!) is based on, this fantasy story about a home for peculiar children is full of photographs that pushes the story over the edge of fascinating and a little spooky.
- Born to Run – Bruce Springsteen is (finally!) sharing the story of his life with us and what a life it’s been! This book is currently on pre-order, but will be released 9/27/2016.
- The Whistler – John Grisham’s new book that will be released on 10/25/16 is about a lawyer who takes a case involving corruption with our judicial system. Not just the system, but a specific judge who is skimming money off of an already shady casino. This leads to some dire consequences and dangerous events.
- The Importance of Being Earnest – This Oscar Wilde classic from 1895 holds up just as well today! A hilarious story of two men – each living a double life – and the importance of the name Ernest to the two women they love. I read this as a teenager and it has been a favorite ever since.
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child – This book (which is actually a play) is the eighth in the Harry Potter series. The story focuses on the youngest of the Potter children, Albus, and how he has to deal with a family legacy that he never wanted. Harry is now a working man with a family of five (still married to Ginny, with three children) and struggles with his haunting past. There is no movie of this one (although there is the stage play!), so you’re going to have to read the book!
There is nothing like a good book to broaden your horizons! I know that some people prefer Kindle, but I enjoy the archaic, visceral feeling of holding a book in my hands and flipping the pages. That said, they’re bulkier and harder to take with you, so do what works best for you! Happy reading!!