Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but sometimes it can also be the most overlooked! That’s why this recipe for an Easy Crispy Hashbrown Casserole with sausage, egg and cheese is about to improve breakfast in one dish!
There are a few steps to this recipe, but it is not difficult! Preheat your oven to 350 and saute some celery, onions and peppers in butter in a frying pan. Once they’re soft, add a little garlic salt and Italian seasoning. Add your raw sausage meat to the pan and crumble it so that it’s broken up well in the mixture. Cook your sausage until well cooked and brown! Once it is cooked through, spread this sausage mixture as the bottom layer of a 16×9 casserole dish. Top this with 3/4 cup of the shredded cheese.
Clean out the same frying pan that you just used (or don’t!) and combine the eggs and milk, thyme, salt and pepper. Begin to scramble them all together, but don’t let the eggs become fully cooked. Aim for 3/4 cooked eggs so that you don’t have overcooked eggs in your casserole. Spread this egg mixture over the cheese in your casserole dish and top it with another 3/4 cup of shredded cheese. Next, place the entire bag of thawed hash browns on top.
This next part isn’t 100% necessary, but I think that it gives the recipe texture and a touch of fun! After cleaning out your frying pan, melt some butter and then add the rice cereal, seasoning salt and parsley flakes. Mix this until lightly toasted and spoon the mixture over the top of the casserole. Sprinkle the rest of your shredded cheese on top. Bake for 30 minutes and serve after a short cooling time! Add sour cream on top if desired (and I highly recommend doing it!)
This Easy Crispy Hashbrown Casserole with sausage, egg and cheese is perfect for gatherings or regular school-day breakfasts! It takes about 20 minutes to prepare and it’ll have everything you need for a great start to the day.
Ready for more deliciousness? Read more of my recipes!
Easy Crispy Hashbrown Casserole
- 1 bag thawed hash browns
- 1 lb. raw sausage meat
- 1 dozen eggs
- 2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 cup rice cereal (like Rice Krispies)
- ¼ cup milk or cream
- ½ large chopped onion
- 2 stalks chopped celery
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ½ tsp Garlic Salt
- 1 Tbsp Seasoning Salt
- 1 Tbsp dried Parsley flakes
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp thyme
- 3 Tbsp butter and 1 tsp butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- sour cream (if desired)
- Preheat oven to 350
- Melt 1 tsp butter in frying pan and add celery, onion and pepper. Sauté until soft. Add garlic salt and Italian seasoning and mix.
- Add sausage meat to the pan and break up so it’s crumbled and fine. Cook until sausage it is browned.
- Transfer sausage to a 16x9 baking dish. Press sausage mixture with the back of a spoon so it lays in an even layer on the bottom of the pan.
- Take ¾ cup of the shredded cheese and sprinkle it over the sausage mixture.
- In a nonstick frying pan, combine the eggs, milk (or cream), thyme, salt and pepper. Begin to
- scramble. Stir the eggs quite often and remove off the heat when they are ¾ cooked. (You will want a consistency of partially cooked egg while some of it still remains liquid).
- Place the egg mixture over the sausage mixture and spread the eggs in an even layer.
- Take another ¾ cup of shredded cheese and sprinkle it over the egg mixture.
- Place entire bag of thawed hash browns over the egg mixture in an even layer.
- In a frying pan, melt 3 tablespoons of butter. Add the rice cereal, seasoning salt and parsley flakes. Mix cereal around until lightly toasted.
- Spoon cereal mixture over hash browns. Sprinkle with remaining quarter cup of cheese on top of that.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes before slicing to serve. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream if desired.
- Makes 12 servings